This refers to a plate of tortilla chips with a whole host of other ingredients mixed up with them such as guacamole, meat, chillies and vegetables. Many cafes, bars and restaurants will have their own version of this highly variable dish. This is a simple version, with many variations possible. It makes a great starter and a great alternative to popcorn for snacking while watching a film.
You’ll need: (Serves 4)
- 400 g tortilla chips (not flavoured – the more plain the better)
- 100g grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 chopped chillies (the pickled green jalapeños you can buy in shops work well, but any will do)
- 2 bell peppers, red or yellow and diced
- 4 spring onions
- Sour Cream
- 100 g of Chorizo
- 50 g sliced black olives
- Very simply, just add the tortilla chips, spring onions, chillis, peppers, olives, meat and some of the cheese, together in an oven proof dish or plate – one that is flat is ideal, layering the different ingredients as you go.
- Add a good dollop of sour cream and finish with a good measure of the grated cheese and place under the grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately to hungry friends with some nice lager and slices of lime
- Instead of cheese, you can use nacho cheese sauce. See our simple nacho cheese sauce recipe
- You can vary the meat. You can use cooked meat such as chopped bacon, steak, pork, sausages or even chicken. You could use minced beef or pork or use cold, cooked, sliced meat such as ham
- You can add re-fried beans or cooked black beans, onions, tomatoes (flesh and skin removed) or whole host of other things to the mix. Use your imagination
- You can replace some of the ingredients with tomato salsa (linked to recipe) and even add a good dollop of guacamole (linked to recipe)